Van Nest-Hoff-Vannatta Farmstead - Phillipsburg, NJ
Set in the fertile Delaware River valley at the foot of Scotts Mountain, the Van Nest–Hoff–Vannatta Farmstead is an important survivor from Harmony Township's rural past and has significance for agriculture and architecture for the period circa 1760 to 1900. The farmstead exemplifies the region's largest farmsteads, properties that clearly express the success of their owners as agriculturists for several generations. One of the locality’s earliest documented settlements, the site was occupied by 1764 by John Van Nest, who had purchased the then 768-acre property.
Outbuildings constructed throughout the 19th century surround the rough-cut stone farmhouse. These buildings include c1824 bank barn, early 19th century summer kitchen, wagon houses, smoke-house and privy. This farmstead is listed on the New Jersey and National Registers of Historic Places.
Overseen by the Harmony Township Historic Preservation Commission and the Harmony Township Historical Society, this site is supported through state and local grants and funding.
Located within 5 miles of the Delaware River, the Farmstead is a most historic place to visit while in the area. See www.HoffVannattaFarm.org for more details
Site readily accessible by car. Barn and outbuildings are handicap accessible at this time.