Turtle Beach - Hardwick, NJ
Turtle Beach is located six miles north of I-80 on Old Mine Road. This area offers a grassy beach complete with picnic tables and restrooms.
Turtle Beach is closed to pets.
However, pets are permitted in most areas of the park and must be on a 6-foot leash at all times. Pets may not be tied to an object and left unattended or left in a vehicle. Please clean up after your pet. Report lost pets to the park communication center at (570) 426-2457.
National Park Service regulations exempt service animals, such as guide dogs for the blind and signal dogs for the hearing-impaired, from pet prohibitions.
The park provides three lifeguarded beaches where visitors can safely enjoy a swim in the Delaware River. Lifeguards are on duty weekends from mid-June through August. Picnic and restroom facilities are also available at the beaches. Grills are not provided;personal grills are permitted. Alcohol and pets are not permitted. Fees are charged at the beaches April through October.
- Swimming in areas of the river outside the life guarded beaches is permitted, but not recommended. Strong currents, sharp drop-offs, and constantly changing river conditions make many areas unsafe for swimming.
- Wearing a properly fitting life jacket is strongly recommended when swimming.
- Never try to swim across the river. Currents are deceiving;many people have drowned attempting to swim from one side of the river to the other.
- Apply sunscreen often to avoid sunburns.
Swimming is not permitted within 50 feet of a boat launch, a canoe launch, or the top of any waterfall. Additionally, swimming is not permitted at the following areas:
Kittatinny Point, NJ
Van Campens Glen, NJ
Dingmans Falls, PA
George W. Childs Recreation Site, PA
Turtle Beach is accessible year-round, however lifeguards are only available seasonally.
No fee is charged for those who are dropping off or picking up people from the river access ramps and those walking through Smithfield Beach on McDade Recreational Trail. Expanded Amenity Fees are not covered by America the Beautiful Annual Pass. However, holders of the America the Beautiful Senior and Access Passes, and National Park Service Golden Age and Golden Access Passes are eligible for a 50% discount on the Expanded Amenity Fees.
- Private vehicle (up to 7 persons): $7.00 per vehicle on a weekday
- Private vehicle (up to 7 persons): $10.00 per vehicle on a Saturday, Sunday, or holiday
- Vehicles with 8 or more adults (age 16 or older): $1.00 per person
- Pedestrian (age 16 or older): $1.00 per person
- Delaware Water Gap National Recreation Area Season Passes
- Season passes can be purchased at park headquarters, Dingmans Falls Visitor Center, Kittatinny Point Visitor Center, staffed collection stations, or through the mail. Holders of the America the Beautiful Senior and Access Passes and National Park Service Golden Age and Golden Access Passes are eligible for a 50% discount on season passes.
Season Pass: $45
A second Season Pass registered to the same name and address: $25
A third Season Pass registered to the same name and address: $12.50
Walk-In Season Pass: $10.00
For More Information
Call (570) 426-2434 for more information about fees and passes.
Fees are charged at the beaches April though October.