Town of Deerpark Museum/1863 Huguenot Schoolhouse - Huguenot, NY
The Town of Deerpark Museum, in the Huguenot 1863 Schoolhouse is on the National Register of Historic Places. It offers a glimpse into the history of Deerpark through exhibits, programs and publications for children and adults. Historical murals surround the walls of the building. The "Deerest Deerpark" painted deer are on display. A complete collection of local history books, art work, photo albums and reference materials are available for anyone interested in local history.
The Neversink Valley Grange building, located adjacent to the 1863 Schoolhouse, is in the process of being renovated as a community center. The building has been placed on the list of National Historic Places. During the year the museum uses the space for lectures and its annual open house in September.
Here is a sampling of the more than 50 historic markers found throughout the Town of Deerpark. The area was populated in the earliest times by Native Americans, the Dutch and French Huguenots. Settlers participated in the French and Indian Wars and the American Revolution. Most famously were the two attacks by Captain Joseph Brant and his Tory Raiders. The Neversink and Delaware River Valleys created a natural transportation corridor for commerce. The Old Mine Road, well-traveled corduroy roads and turnpikes, The D&H Canal, rafting of logs, ferries and busy railroads contributed in building up this westernmost tip of Orange County, NY.
Pet Friendly Notes
Time Period Represented
1863 - Today
March through December