Ten Mile River Scout Museum - Narrowsburg, NY
The Ten Mile River Scout Museum is operated by the Greater New York Councils, Boy Scouts of America and is dedicated to preserving the history and artifacts of the Ten Mile River Scout Camps (T.M.R.) and the local area. T.M.R. is a 12,000 acre reserve in Sullivan County near Narrowsburg, N.Y. that has been serving the Boy Scouts of New York City since 1927.
Located in T.M.R.’s Headquarters Camp, the Museum complex consists of a Museum Building and three historic camp structures: the Kernochan Blockhouse, the Karl Bernstein Cayuga/Kotohke Cabin and the Kunatah Trading Post.
We are open to the general public and offer various tours and exhibits, outdoor historical programs and local history exhibits. Our store has a variety of Museum and T.M.R. publications, patches and collectibles for sale.
The Museum has been completely renovated for our 2017 season, with professional exhibits. See slideshow above.
The Museum Building has a variety of exhibits on local nature, archaeology and history:
The Lumbering & Rafting Era - The Museum has artifacts and photos from the Lumbering and Rafting Era (1800s) and as far back as the Pioneering Era (1720s), including coins, tools, nails, horseshoes and metal buttons.
Native American Artifacts - We have arrowheads, stone tools and other artifacts from three Native American rock shelters found on camp property dating as far back as 6,000 years.
Donut Farm Exhibit - We have artifacts from the Donut Farm, a local family-owned restaurant on Route 97 dating back to the 1940s, including the famous donut machine.
Slide Farm Collection - The Museum has a major collection of woodcarvings and neckerchief slides by Roland Flora, a local folk artist in the 1960s and 1970s and owner of the locally famous Slide Farm. This collection is a wonderful example of local handicraft.
Mounted Bird Collection - Our extensive mounted bird collection includes several birds-of-prey, including several owls, hawks, falcons and an osprey.
Nearby are two historic camp structures with exhibits:
Kernochan Blockhouse - A two-level Pioneer-era (1750s) reproduction miniature blockhouse. Inside on display are copies of common items that were typically used during the Pioneering Era. Find out how blockhouses were used in case of attack and what pioneer life was like in the Upper Delaware River Valley.
Cayuga/Kotohke Cabin - A recreation of life in an actual T.M.R. open-air cabin from the 1930s and 1940s, complete with bunks and straw ticks. Oversized photos depict cabins and tents from this era. A nine-minute video depicts camp life in the Brooklyn Scout Camps. Visit a mini-museum with camping equipment and other artifacts from typical 1940s Brooklyn Scout Camp life. See old Scout uniforms on mannequins.
A short walk from the Museum Building is an historical walking tour:
- C.C.C. Camp Ten Mile River Walking Tour - See a short video on the history of the Civilian Conservation Corps, a depression-era public relief program that made major physical improvements at T.M.R. during the 1930s. Visit the sites of key buildings of the C.C.C. Camp Ten Mile River, which operated from 1933-1936. The sites are marked and the tour leads you on a short walk around the back of Headquarters Camp, ending at the Museum. The tour guidebook shows you the tour route and includes history and photos for each stop.
Our address is 1481 Crystal Lake Road, Narrowsburg, NY 12764.
For additional information, call us during our summer season (845-252-3775) or visit our website at http://tmrmuseum.org/.
Monday-Friday: 9:00 a.m. - 12:00 Noon, 1:00 p.m. - 5:00 p.m., 7:00 p.m. - 9:00 p.m. Saturday: 8:00 am - 3:00 pm. Sunday: 1:00 p.m. - 5:00 p.m.
Daily, usually from the beginning of July to the 3rd week of August each summer.
No admission fees or parking charges.