Friends of the Upper Delaware River - Hancock, NY
Friends of the Upper Delaware River (FUDR) is an organization that protects, preserves, and enhances the cold-water ecosystem of the Upper Delaware River Watershed, addressing any environmental threats to our area for the benefit of local communities, residents and visitors to the region.
The organization works to:
- Enhance the region’s fisheries through consistent cold water releases and river and tributary habitat restoration.
- Protect local community property through prevention of flooding.
- Protect overall water and environmental quality of the region through the prevention and mitigation of threats.
- Revitalize the economies of local communities by building a river-based economy
- Build wide community support for FUDR through education and outreach programs related to FUDR’s mission.
At FURD, we have:
- Partnered with groups from our headwaters all the way to the Delaware Bay and beyond.
- Worked to negotiate a more equitable plan that will provide cold water to protect both habitat and our fishery while considering the vital issue of flood mitigation, and adding missing elements like a thermal release component to protect the eco-system during times of stress.
- Hosted the Annual ‘Water, Water Everywhere’ conference at the West Branch Angler. The event is held each year to give river stakeholders and government officials the opportunity to get together and discuss the Delaware River, an invaluable natural resource asset that serves millions of residents from its headwaters in the Catskills 400 miles downstream to the Delaware Bay.
- Built 'Friends Park’ in Deposit provides a new access point and a viewing platform to the river for trout fishermen, birdwatchers and others.
- Continued to work on a comprehensive stream restoration project of Sands and Cadosia creeks in Delaware County, N.Y., partnering with the Town of Hancock, Delaware County Department of Public Works, Code Blue, National Fish and Wildlife Foundation, the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers, The Keith Campbell Foundation, Orvis, Patagonia, Theodore Gordon Flyfishers, and National Fish & Wildlife Foundation.
- Become a community leader in water-release issues, restoration projects, and putting our area on the map as a healthy outdoor recreation destination.
How to Support
Become a member today with your donation of $35 or more. Your tax-deductible membership with the Friends of the Upper Delaware River will help us continue our mission to protect, preserve and enhance the cold-water ecosystem of the Upper Delaware River watershed and to address any environmental threats to our area for the benefit of local communities, residents and visitors to the region. Your support makes our restoration, advocacy and education efforts possible.
FUDR also offers an option to join as a monthly giver – an easy way to help save the river; you simply authorize an affordable gift to be automatically charged to your credit card each month.
Your donation automatically registers you for River updates from FUDR via e-mail.
You can pay by check, please send, along with name, address and phone number to:
Friends of the Upper Delaware River
158 East Front Street, Hancock NY 13783
Individual – $35 | Family – $60 | Patron – $100 | Brook Trout – $250 | Brown Trout – $500 | Rainbow Trout – $1000