Foster-Armstrong Historic Museum Site - Montague, NJ
The Foster-Armstrong House in Montague, New Jersey is managed by MARCH (Montague Association for the Restoration of Community History) under an agreement with the NPS and is located in the Delaware Water Gap National Recreation Area. It is bounded on the west by the Delaware River and fronts on the Old Mine Road (CR 521)
M.A.R.C.H incorporated in 1979 with much enthusiasm and an ambitious list of objectives:
- Preserve the area’s history,
- Educate the public
- Establish and maintain historic homes,
- Engage in fundraising activities
The Foster-Armstrong House is listed on the National Register for Historic Sites and the New Jersey Register. It has the characteristics of both a circa 1790 English and Dutch dwelling. The main house, built by Julius Foster, is constructed of wood with a Georgian style design. The roof is a Dutch gambrel with a Dutch door at the main entrance. The circa 1820 keeping room addition contains stone walls, a tulip shape roof and a beehive oven in the large cooking fireplace. The house still contains original floor boards, doors and window frames. Original Dutch knuckle door knobs are found on some of the doors. The house was partially used as a tavern until 1818 and eventually became an active dairy farm until the 1970’s.
The Foster-Armstrong House presently displays a variety of items of historical interest from the 1700’s up through the early 1900’s. The keeping room contains a large cooking fireplace with a beehive oven next to it. The room contains exhibits related to cooking but also is large enough to use as our meeting room and for presentations on historical topics. There are eight rooms filled with collections of artifacts that include Native American tools for scraping animal hides, baskets, hunting spears; and pictures, photos and stories of previous settlement areas. In the Military Room are uniforms, photos, personal accounts and medals from the Civil War to the present. The Victorian room is complete with fashions of the period.
We have a room for the numerous quilts that represent the 19th and 20th Century. In another room are more than twenty models of covered bridges from the East Coast; some have vanished and others are still active. One or two of the rooms are used as changing exhibits so that visitors will experience new activities and historical events.
Historic site is handicap accessible on first floor only.
Pet Friendly Notes
Service animals only.
Time Period Represented
1790 - present
Sunday afternoons, June-September; last weekend in November; first and second weekends in December; 1-4 P.M.; other times by appointment
Aummer, fall, and holiday season