Easton's Historic Centre Square - Easton, PA
Easton is the County Seat for Northampton County. Established in 1752 by Thomas and John Penn, Easton has a rich colonial history that started here in the historic center. In this Centre Square many important Indian Peace Treaties were held including the Treaty of 1758 which can be seen in the Sigal Museum on Northampton Street, one-half block west of the square.
Because of its importance in colonial times, especially in the effort for freedom, the Declaration was publicly read on July 8, 1776. George Taylor of Easton was one of the signers of the Declaration of Independence and his colonial home has been restored and is located at 4th and Ferry Streets. Today, the circle is home to many public festivals, concerts and events just as the Penn family wanted.
Time Period Represented