Easton Public Library - Easton, PA
Located on 515 Church Street, the Easton Public Library was established in 1811. Today the library is part of the Lehigh Valley Library System.
Initially, the Easton Library Company was organized on July 4, 1811, as a subscription library with a $5.00 membership fee per person. The book collection consisted of 700 titles, mostly gifts, and was housed in the front room of the home of Peter Miller on Third Street. After many financial crises following the Civil War, the library reorganized and assumed a new name, Easton Public Library Association.
In 1895, the Easton School District assumed financial responsibility of library service to the community and for the formation of the Easton Public Library. In 1902, land was purchased from the German Reformed church and Lutheran burial ground for $4,000 and a new building was erected with funds donated by Andrew Carnegie. In 1913 and in 1968 building additions was added, again funded by Andrew Carnegie.
Time Period Represented