Brick House Village (aka the Village of Montague) - Montague, NJ
This hamlet, within Montague Township, formed at the convergence of Old Mine Road with early trails, and the turnpikes which followed. Nearby was a ferry crossing to Wells Ferry, PA - later renamed Milford. The hotel, which lent its name to this village, was taken under eminent domain and demolished when the current Milford-Montague Bridge was being constructed and US Route 206 was aligned to access the new bridge.
Many of the remaining homes and some businesses were lost a few years later to the Tocks Island Dam project, or moved. Both the Nelden-Roberts Stonehouse [once used as a schoolhouse by John D. Everitt] and the Nelden-Hornbeck Farmhouse (aka Roberts Farm) nrarby remain.. Both are listed on the NJ State Historic Register.
Nearby on CR 521/ River Rd., past the historic marker, is the Minisink Reformed Church and its churchyard, the former Brick House schoolhouse (now a residence), and a few private homes. Further north along CR 521 is the Foster-Armstrong House, a National Register Site, which is opened for tours and programs by the township's local historical society, known as M.A.R.C.H.
Time Period Represented
mid-1700's to 1970
Sites are accessible spring through fall and weather-permitting in winter.
Nelden-Roberts Stonehouse & Foster-Armstrong House are open for tours on certain dates - donations welcomed.